Tuši

Tuši's blog

Saturday, December 22, 2012

12273

NEW ZEALAND: DAY 18: CAPE KIDNAPPERS TRIP, Gentle Annie Road, Valleys around Taihape


My day started quite early, more exactly at 4 a.m., because I had to start walking along the coast 3 hours after the high tide.

My destination

Cliffs

Still far away

Running all the way to the cape.

Beach with a hut where being topless is fine and directions to some countries. No Slovenia though.

 

Black Reef Gannet Colonies (Strmoglavci in Slovene)

Getting closer

At this point I decided to continue by the beach, but in the end I had to return to this point and continue to the right

Seal came out of nowhere. Roaring sound behind me scared the hell out of me.

Picture from the end of Cape Kidnappers

Bye, bye seal

The tide was still low, so I had enough time to visit another gannet colony





Cape Kidnappers Saddle Gannet Colony



On my way back I said bye to the Black Reef Gannet colony

Early morning visit to Cape Kidnappers

The worst spaghetti in my life, even though I put some extra peas inside

Leaving my camp-site in Clifton

Turned around and filled the gas
My next daily event was riding on the Napier-Taihape Road more known as the Gentle Annie which rises to 980 m at its peak. The Gentle Annie road takes its name from the descent from the Central Plateau into the Kaweka forest. Great ride, with some rain.

 

Gentle Annie is a nice road with no traffic at all

Springvale Bridge - Rangitikei River Bridge Number 75, as it was officially christened in 1925

The tree must've fallen down just a couple of minutes before I arrived

Local guy offered me a tea. Thanks!

After half an hour, the machinery arrived and road was opened again

I continued my riding south through some valleys and gorges around Taihape, the gumboot capital of the world. Roads were bad, but the views were nice. I ended my day in Feilding camp-site.


Rangitikei River, one of the New Zealand's longest rivers, 185 km

Red Sonja did a great job today. I guess she likes the new tyres.
 Riding The Gentle Annie and roads around Taihape

No comments:

Post a Comment