Tuši

Tuši's blog

Saturday, January 26, 2013

12308

New Zealand: Day 54: East Cape Trip: Day 2


In the morning I went to Lou's Lookout where a great view to Lake Waikaremoana is. Lou’s Track is named after the late Lou Dolman,The King of the Ureweras, a long-serving Tuai policeman who was instrumental in constructing the track in the 1960’s.

Lake Waikaremoana from Lou's Lookout early in the morning

Lou's Lookout track leads through a short tunnel

I continued on gravel road towards an old rata tree and some nice waterfalls, everything in just a few kilometres.

 
Northern Rātā: Metrosideros robusta. This tree began its life as an Epiphyte growing high up, possibly in the fork of a Rimu tree. The young Rata grew a network of aerial roots reaching towards the ground. The Rimu has since rotted away. The rata was probably three main vines which have intertwined. It is 13 meters around the base and aged between 800 to 1000 years old.


Papakorito falls, 20 m

Bridal Veil Falls

Momahaki Falls and Te Tangi-o-Hinerau

Traction-Engine Trailer. This trailer, earlier known as a lorry, was built for use in the construction of the Tuai Power Station in around 1926. It carried the heavy machinery, which would be used in the power station, from Wairoa to the construction site.

Mokau Falls, 37 m 

My work in Te Urewera National Park was done. Only 70 kilometres of gravel and I'll be back on the normal roads again.

But not so fast. My rear tyre started to lose pressure in the middle of nowhere, with a car passing by approximately every 15 minutes. Luckily in 5 minutes 3 motorbikers came by and they were equipped with all the tools for fixing the tyre.

 
 And surprisingly, there were 2 girls and a guy on 3 bikes, 2 BMWs and a Suzuki, but all enduro bikes. "Tanzanian" guy was very handy and together we were able to reduce the leakage to minimum. We said good-bye to each-other and we continued in our designated direction.

BMWs could be used instead of horses

12V socket, that John and I installed a couple of weeks ago was very useful

 
Let's go and good luck. After cca. 50 kilometres, a piece of rubber was still hanging out of the tyre. Leakage was still normal and tyre hard, still it was difficult to ride relaxed under this conditions.

Finally normal roads and my first visit to Hawai.

Short break for a quick lunch on the beach of  Maraetai bay

Anglican church on the beach in Raukokore

 
Beach after beach on the way to East Cape

The biggest Pohutukawa (Metrosideros excelsa) tree in the world is 21.2 meters tall and measures 40 meters at its widest point.

Sign in front of  the Pohutukawa tree in the grounds of the local school

East Cape Lighthouse is 14 meters high and stands 154 meters above sea level. Position: 37°41′S 178°33′E

Resting on one of the easternmost benches in the world
When I came back from the East cape Lighthouse (755 steps one way), I noticed, that my tyre was leaking the air a bit more and since it was already a bit late and my Sonja was low with fuel, I changed my plans. I decided to ride close to the city and a gas station and my choice was Ruatoria. Unfortunately the city didn't have any campground, but I'll think of something when I will be there. So I arrived in the city, make a quick lap around it, but I didn't find a suitable place for my tent. I was hungry, so I stopped in the centre and I started cooking my dinner, some vegetables and pasta, on a bench near the main road. Soon a police officer came by and he asked me some usual questions, like what are you doing, where will you sleep, what are you having for dinner. My answers were cooking, I don't know and nothing special, some pasta with vegetables. The last answer made him a bit upset and he told me, that this is not a dinner. Dinner has to have meat. So he said, come with me, you can sleep at the gym in the police station and I will bring you some proper dinner from my home. And so it was. I took a shower there and he picked up a dinner from his home, sweet corn, chicken, french fries, garlic bread and some sort of cheese pie. It was an excellent energy boost after a long and nervous day. We also had a nice tea with a conversation. THANK YOU for all this, Sergeant.

Overnight stay at the police station in Ruatoria. Sergeant placed me in their gym.

Riding from Lake Waikaremoana to Ruatoria through Murupara, Opotiki, Te Araroa and East Cape. 486 km

No comments:

Post a Comment