Seventeen days, two
motorcycles, one destination. For this year's
holiday, Nada and I headed to
Albania, planning to explore its coastline from north to south before turning towards the mountains and making our way home through some of the country's most scenic landscapes.
On the second day, I was still travelling alone and spent almost the entire day in the saddle of my Blue Horse. Shortly after seven in the morning, I left
Posedarje and continued south along the
Adriatic Highway. For the first time, I crossed the impressive
Pelješac Bridge before turning inland near
Slano and crossing the border into
Bosnia and Herzegovina.
From there, I followed the route of the former narrow-gauge railway once travelled by the legendary Ćiro train. The road led through the rugged landscapes of
Herzegovina to
Trebinje, where I took some time to visit
Hercegovačka Gračanica, a
Serbian Orthodox monastery perched on Crkvina Hill above the town. Besides its distinctive architecture, the site offers magnificent views over Trebinje and the surrounding countryside.
After the visit, I continued towards
Montenegro. The road carried me past
Nikšić and
Podgorica, offering a full day of enjoyable riding through the varied landscapes of Montenegro before eventually reaching the
Adriatic coast once again. I ended the day in the seaside town of
Sutomore, where I checked into my accommodation and prepared for the next stage of the journey towards
Albania.
 |
| Time to eat something. |
 |
| Crkva svetog Ante Padovanskog / Church of Saint Anthony of Padua. |
 |
| Blue Horse. |
 |
| The Pelješac bridge provides a fixed link from the southeastern Croatian semi-exclave to the rest of the country while bypassing Bosnia and Herzegovina's short coastal strip at Neum. The bridge spans the sea channel between Komarna on the northern mainland and the peninsula of Pelješac, thereby passing entirely through Croatian territory and avoiding any border crossings with Bosnia and Herzegovina at Neum. |
Sv. Roko church and Slano Bay. Sv. Orsula church and Slano bay.  |
| Popovo Polje, shaped by the underground waters of the Trebišnjica River, is one of the largest karst fields in Europe. For centuries, the river disappeared beneath the surface, creating a landscape unlike any other. |
 |
| Trebinje and the historic Arslanagić Bridge spanning the turquoise waters of the Trebišnjica River, viewed from Crkvina Hill. |
 |
| Looking west from Crkvina Hill across Trebinje Field, towards the vast karst landscapes that eventually open into Popovo Polje. |
 |
| The road towards Montenegro winds through the remote karst landscapes of Zaslapnica. |
 |
| Created by damming the Gračanica River, Slano Lake is one of Montenegro's largest artificial lakes and a prominent feature of the landscape around Nikšić. |
Geocaches found (all received a visit by trackable items "Second Angel of peace",
TBA8B55 and "Twin Star",
TB33TN8):
- Crkva svetog Ante Padovanskog,
GC8Y83R, where I spotted the code of trackable item "Der hier war Laula Stempel",
TB9K9R2- Virtual Reward 3.0 - Pelješki most, Virtual,
GC9P6QC
No comments:
Post a Comment