Tuši

Tuši's blog

Wednesday, May 22, 2019

14615

Croatia: Riding from Slovenia to Montenegro, Day 3


I gave myself a present of a free week and decided to use it for cycling. My goal was to cycle from my home country to Montenegro.

I left the hostel in the morning and again I was on my bike. The Adriatic Highway is great for cycling at this time of year, since there is not much traffic. After Šibenik I left the main road for a while, since there was a nice shortcut leading over some hills and immediately I was caught in the thunderstorm. Once you are wet, it is nonsense to stop, so I just continued. Thunderstorm was over and the sun quickly dried me and the road. I passed Split and my final destination Makarska was on the reach of my hands.

Previous days of the bike trip: Day 2 and Day 1.

Leaving Sukošan

Breakfast in Sveti Filip i Jakov

The Šibenik Bridge the Gulf of Šibenik

Near Split bad traffic signalization took me to the main road

Omiš is a town and port in the Dalmatia region, where the Cetina River meets the Adriatic Sea.

 
I quickly explored the city. Omiš was well known in the past by the Corsairs of Almissa (Omiški gusari) whose Sagittas (ships), brought fame to them because they were built for attack and fast retrieval into the mouth of the Cetina River, protecting the town from foreign invaders.

 
Omiš is known by many names. Latin names during Ancient Rome were Onaeum, Oeneum, Alminium, and Almissum. During Medieval times the name was recorded as Olmissium, Almiyssium and from the end of the 15th century, when the city fell to the authority of Venetian Republic, its name was the Italian Almissa.

Lunch time

Adriatic Sea

Even though it is a coastal road, you gain many meters during the whole day of cycling

The Makarska Riviera is a part of the Croatian coast of the Adriatic Sea, about 60 kilometers long and only several kilometers wide, squeezed under towering mountain Biokovo.

Sunny climate and long pebbly beaches make this region a popular tourist destination.

View to Makarska, my today's destination

 
The center of Makarska is an old town with narrow stone-paved streets, a main church square where there is a flower and fruit market, and a Franciscan monastery that houses a sea shell collection featuring a giant clam shell.

 
Exploring the streets of Makarska

From Slovenia to Montenegro, day 3 - 201 km

GeoCaches found (all received a visit by trackable items "Siebasiach's Figure Eight Geocoin", TB735HE, "Sanban s1", TB42DJW and "Julia ud Zweeenes 100000 Caches", TB35GHN):
- Vacation Sukošan, GC63MKR
- Dalmacija - Adria 11 - RoundaboutCB, GC6PXVG
- Road to nowhere, GC322KK
- Krka Bridge -West-, GC3VRAC, where I retrieved trackable item "Gallotia Mystery", TB7372G and it stayed with me for the rest of the day
- Krka Bridge - East -, GC3W1HC
- Places 2 Be(er) #4: FulkFogans Watchpoint, GC7VW85
- Mimice, GC6MFJ3
- Welcome to Makarska Riviera, GC2ZE1V
- KUK, GC6NQHH

No comments:

Post a Comment