Tuši

Tuši's blog

Friday, June 23, 2017

13917

Slovenia: Little Bit of Cycling and Hiking - Mangrt


On today's vacation day I decided to cross off one line on my bucket list and that was to conquer Mangrt mountain, starting from home and using only bicycle and my legs.

I started a little past 5 a.m. and with my road bike Metliška Črnina we rode to Kranjska Gora, from where we started to ascent towards the first pass, Vršič, 1611 m. From there I descended almost to Bovec and from there the longest ascent began, destination Mangrt Saddle. The Mangart Road is with its elevation of 2055 meters the highest lying road in Slovenia.

At the saddle I left the bike and hiked to the top of the third highest mountain in Slovenia via ferrata called the Slovenian way. The mountain has two names, people say both names are correct so Mangart or Mangrt was soon conquered. Nearby thunder sounds and my schedule didn't allow me to rest so I returned back to the saddle via easier Italian way.

I was back in the saddle moving towards the Predel Pass, 1156 m, where I entered Italy for a while. After around 20 kilometers I returned back to Slovenia and it started to rain, so I decided to eat something warm and veal stew renew me. The rain stopped and I moved on and a little past 9 p.m. I arrived to Bistrica pri Tržiču and the day was officially over.

Next to Lake Jasna in Kranjska Gora

On our way towards Vršič Pass

First time with bicycle on this pass

Mangrt peak is still far away

End of the highest Slovenian road at an altitude of 2055 meters, that was built in 1938.

View from the saddle to Belopeška jezera (Laghi di Fusine - Mangrt lakes)

Mangrt saddle, where I left my bike

Alpine ibex

Highest point of the day, Mangrt

Whole day of riding and hiking and in the end I had a perfect day

Short statistics and videos:



GeoCaches found (all received a visit by trackable item "Little Red Buggy", TB6M50J):
- Kekec in Mojca, GC58A45
- picnic place on the way up/down to mangart, GC3YA04
- The choice, GC30171

No comments:

Post a Comment