Tuši

Tuši's blog

Saturday, June 12, 2021

15367

Slovenia: MTB - Vodiška planina


Beautiful Saturday just called for another mountain bike trip with my Black Mamba. I drove to Lipnica, where I saddled my bike and my first stop was Pusti grad (Deserted castle), once the seat of the Upper Carniolan holdings of the noble house of Ortenburg. I continued towards the ruins of Grabnar's mill and then the ascent to Jelovica began. Nice road took me Goška Ravan and after a while I was already at my destination, Vodiška planina. After a short relaxation and a beer I started the fun part of my MTB trip, a decent towards Kamna Gorica.

Lipnica Castle (Slovene: Lipniški grad, German: Waldenberg), also known as Deserted Castle above the Lipnica (Pusti grad nad Lipnico), is a castle ruin near the settlement of Zgornja Lipnica.

In 1509 (1511) the castle was badly damaged by an earthquake, later it was ravaged by fire and the tenants did not carry out any further renovations. The remains of the castle building and the surrounding walls and two defence towers, as well as the defence trench on the eastern and western sides of the castle, have been preserved.

There is a castle legend about the last Count of Ortenburg, Friderik III. His wife, Margaret Teck, was said to have poisoned her husband with a poisonous apple. As a punishment the spiteful countess was changed into an abominable snake with a gold crown on its head, which is said to still slither through the castle today. However, the historical truth of the legend contradicts this, since Margaret Teck died before her husband in 1408.

Black Mamba on a castle tour.

Later on I visited Grabnarjev mlin / Grabnar's mill, a mill on Grabnarica creek.

 
The Grabnarca Waterside Nature Trail is a circular path leads through an area which is known for its exceptionally diverse flora and fauna, including rare stone crayfish and, the symbol of the trail, the white-throated dipper.

Goška Ravan on Jelovica plateau.

Finally a short break on Vodiška planina.

Trail back to the valley.

Mountain biking with Black Mamba - Garmin Connect.

Evening with the neighbours.

Geocaches found:
- Pusti grad / Deserted castle, GC2511A
- Grabnarjev mlin / Grabnar's mill, GC26WJ0


No comments:

Post a Comment