Tuši

Tuši's blog

Saturday, February 23, 2013

12336

New Zealand: Day 82: South Island Motorbike Trip: Day 09: Abel Tasman National ParkTotaranui - Bark Bay


And here it was, my last day, better said morning, with my friend John. I really had a great three months with him and I believe we will do some more nice and crazy things together. THANKS for everything John. After the breakfast we packed our gear, swapped the tents, so I would carry the lighter one on my two day hiking adventure and said goodbye to each other. John continued towards the ferry back to North Island and I went on a water taxi to Totaranui, from where  I will start my two day hiking in Abel Tasman National Park.

Sunrise in The Barn campground

Ready for the Abel Tasman Coast Track. No, wait, just parking my bike for 2 days at the campsite's wooden warehouse

 
I was ready for my two day hike, but I guess I won't eat as much as I would like, since the bird stole my apple.

Our ride, the water taxi. You start on the land and they put you in the sea with the tractor.

120 million years old granite, Split Apple Rock. When the tide is high, you can row through it with a kayak.
The ride with the water taxi was great and the driver took us to many interesting places where he showed us some birds, baby seals, sandy beaches, some of the accessible only by sea and amazing rock formations.

 

 

Baby of New Zealand fur seal

 

Water taxi dropped us off in Totaranui, a 1 km long beach

Totaranui is noted for the golden colour of its sand, more intense than other beaches in the Park, the result of a high content of orthoclase minerals in the eroded granite sands of the vicinity.

And I started walking on the famous Abel Tasman Coast Track, the most popular tramping track in New Zealand. The coast track includes some tidal crossings that can only be negotiated at low tide, so you have to include information on tides to plan the trip. The track is located in Abel Tasman National Park, founded in 1942, which is with 225 km² the smallest of New Zealand's national parks. It is named after Abel Tasman, who in 1642 became the first European explorer to sight New Zealand. For a short brochure click HERE.


 

 

 
Views from Totaranui Bay to Goat Bay

 
Goat Bay on the left and Waiharakeke Bay on the right 

Waiting for the low tide to cross the Awaroa inlet

 
Water was low enough so we could easily cross to the other side 

Awaroa Bay

Tonga Bay

After 20 kilometres my destination was here, Bark Bay

I needed a little bit more than 5 hours and I reached my destination, Bark Bay. I set the tent and refreshed myself in the bay.

Abel Tasman Coast Track part 1 was behind me, 22 kilometres

Settled in Bark Bay campsite

View to Bark bay campsite from the sea

Since it was still early, I decided to do also a quick loop around the bay, barefoot, like a Kiwi.

 

 

 

 

A good beer would be great at this point

Roundtrip around Bark Bay

No comments:

Post a Comment