Tuši

Tuši's blog

Thursday, February 21, 2013

12334

New Zealand: Day 80: South Island Motorbike Trip: Day 07: Omarama - Twizel - Rangiora - Lewis Pass - Maruia Springs


We go! And according to John, we left the worst campsite (Ahuriri Bridge campsite) ever, but if you ask me, it was more than OK for the price that we paid. It was free!

Dinner leftovers

North towards Aoraki / Mount Cook, 3754 meters a.m.s.l.

 

View to Aoraki / Mount Cook from the shores of Lake Pukaki

Since we still had a lot of riding ahead of us, we didn't go to Mount Cook, so we just continued North. We took the Inland Scenic Route 72 and therefore avoided Christchurch. On this road you have on one side, serene pastures and fields and on the other side, the rock solid beauty of New Zealand's longest and highest mountain range.

Southern Alps were on our left side for quite some time

Time for a prayer in Church of the Good Shepherd near Lake Tekapo

Good Shepherd

Continuing on State Highway 8

Soon after the lunch, when we started riding again, a police car came around the corner in Staveley and he turned on his Christmas lights. I immediately knew that I was speeding again. I slowed down and stopped and the police car stopped behind me. John was lucky this time and he just smiled to me as he passed me. A true friend left me behind. After the alcohol test, that was negative, he started explaining that my warrant of fitness has expired and that I was speeding. I definitely didn't know about that WoF, still it was OK, since if you pass it in 14 days, you don't need to pay for that offence. In the end it was NZ$ 120 again and words from policeman that I should slow down and pay more attention to the beautiful scenery.

 
Greetings from the police, 3rd in New Zealand in 3 months (click to enlarge)

When he finished the procedure I continued and John was waiting for me in the next intersection. After a short chat we continued a bit slower. Our plan for the rest of the day was riding over the Lewis Pass, bath in Maruia Springs and camping.

Towards Lewis Pass

Natural hot pools in Maruia Springs

Rock Pools are located near Maruia River

Our Marble Hill campsite 

 
Dinner next to the fireplace

Expensive ride

No comments:

Post a Comment