Tuši

Tuši's blog

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

12276

New Zealand: Day 21: Taupo (Huka Falls, Thermal spring) - Orakei Korako - Waiotapu - Rotorua - Okere Falls


Meri Kirihimete!

I left the Great Lake Taupo Holiday park and started to explore the Taupo city, more accurately I walked on the right bank of the Waikato river, from the city to the magnificent Huka Falls. The volume of water flowing through often approaches 220,000 litres per second. On my way back I took a bath in the free hot spring in the Spa park.

Hot spring in Spa Park

Waikato river

220,000 litres per second

Huka falls, where the Waikato River narrows from approximately 100 metres across into a narrow canyon only 15 metres across.


On my way back I took a bath in this hot spring
After the short hike, I continued exploring the city with motorbike.

Lake Taupo

Wairakei Geothermal Power Station
My joker for today was Orakei Korako. Orakei Korako (Māori for “The Place of Adorning”), is a highly active geothermal area most notable for its series of fault-stepped sinter terraces, located in a valley north of Taupo on the banks of the Waikato River in the Taupo Volcanic Zone. It is also known as “The Hidden Valley”.

 
 Orakei Korako, 36 NZ$










More about Orakei Korako, The Hidden Valley can be found on this link: http://www.orakeikorako.co.nz/

I had to move on, so I quickly visited the area around Waiotapu and Rotorua.

 
Mud pols and Hot springs near Waiotapu

 
 Kerosene Creek

Lake Rotowhero  (Green Lake), has seasonal temperatures varying between 29.5–37.5 C

 

The Turbine for Okere Falls Power Station on Kaituna River started working in 1901

 

 
It was almost dark, so I had to find a place to sleep. This time I found an abandoned forest road, that wasn't behind the "private property" sign.

 
No meat for dinner, becasue I couldn't find a lighter. So only beans from a can and some other vegetables.

A little shorter ride

No comments:

Post a Comment